Mizzou vs. Truman State

                                        tiger head 2  69-0 T Bulldogs
Tigers shut out Truman State, look to conference championship against Arkansas

Snow started to fall as Mizzou kicked off to Truman State, but the cold and flurries wouldn’t stop the Tigers’ offensive attack on Saturday. The offense caught fire early, when sophomore 8-man James Glavin crashed the line and broke through to find open space and a try from nearly 40 meters out. Prop Connor Fairfax converted to give them an early 7-0 lead. Mizzou positioned themselves deep in Truman territory just minutes later. A Truman State penalty had the defense on its heels as junior lock Mickey Watson quick-tapped and powered through a defender to score. 12-0 Tigers.

The Mizzou defense held strong during the game, surviving multiple goal-line stands with strong tackling. After gaining possession near the opposing 5 meter line, the Tigers used multiple phases to draw the defense towards the ruck then swung the ball to the backline where inside center Colin Kreager beat a defender with a ball fake and scored. Fairfax was true for his second conversion, giving Mizzou a 19-0 lead. Kreager found space again only 5 minutes later when he broke a massive run from the opposing 22 meter line. He passed to Mickey Watson who was supporting his run, who then dumped the final pass to wing Ty Nash for the long try. Fairfax’s conversion before the half was good to make it 26-0.

Switching ends of the field had no effect on the Tiger offense as J.T. Schlegel started up the offense quickly out of the half. The scrumhalf picked the ball from a ruck and beat a defender from 20 meters out. Add the Fairfax conversion and a penalty kick just a few minutes later to give the Tigers a 36-0 lead. Shane Glascott, playing flyhalf rather than his usual fullback position, broke loose later for a very long try to put the score at 43-0 after the conversion.

After multiple Truman penalties, Mizzou set up a lineout on the Truman State 5-meter line. Glascott received the ball from the lineout and dished to sophomore flanker Adam Cooley who broke a tackle and scored. Fairfax’s conversion put the count at 50-0. Near the final whistle, with a ruck set inches from Truman’s goal line, James Glavin picked from the ruck and dove forward for his second score. 57-0 Tigers. The Tigers received the ensuing kickoff, set up a ruck and passed to Glavin once again. He broke multiple tackles on the way to a score of over 50 meters as time expired. Sean Gonzalez converted his first of the year to make the final score 64-0. An additional try by J.T. Schlegel put the Tigers at 69.

The Tigers look forward to April 9th against Arkansas in Columbia. That match will determine the Heart of America conference champion and offer an automatic bid to the National Tournament.